The Superfund program was established in 1980 with the passage of the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA).  This law established a cleanup process for abandoned hazardous waste sites as well as a cleanup fund (Superfund) to address the cleanup of abandoned sites where no responsible and solvent party could be found.  The Superfund program is implemented as a federal/state partnership, with the federal Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) having primary responsibility.  The Superfund program is a detailed and complex remediation program, with a series of steps and procedures to evaluate and rank sites.  Certain sites are then added to the National Priorities List (NPL), based upon the hazard ranking score and other factors.  For Michigan sites on the NPL, the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) is responsible for financing 10 percent of the cost of remedial action while the federal government is responsible for the remaining 90 percent.  In addition to the EPA, the MDEQ has some oversight authority on Superfund sites in Michigan.  Sites are not eligible for deletion from the NPL until the EPA determines that no further response is required to protect human health and the environment and specific criteria have been met.

In addition to overseeing the long-term cleanup of abandoned hazardous waste sites, the Superfund program also encompasses emergency response and removal actions in order to provide rapid response to releases and incidents involving hazardous substances.  For the State of Michigan, the Emergency and Rapid Response Services are managed by EPA Region 5 based in Chicago, Illinois.

Should you have questions regarding CERCLA, the NPL, cleanup projects managed under Superfund, or emergency response and removal actions, please contact us.

Attorney to Contact:

 Links of Interest:

Michigan DEQ Superfund Program Website

NPL Sites in Michigan

EPA Region 5 Superfund Website

NPL Sites Database

Recent News

Nicolas M. Morano, Accomplished Real Estate Attorney, Joins GGTM Law
Posted on February 11, 2019
Gielow Groom Terpstra & McEvoy (“GGTM”) welcomes Nicolas M. Morano, who recently joined the growing ranks of experienced attorneys at GGTM. Nic has more than a decade of experience in counseling businesses and entrepreneurs in complex real estate and corporate matters. As a Mona Shores High School graduate, Nic is excited to transition his practice back home to the Muskegon area after spending the first ten years of his career with a large law firm in Grand Rapids.  Nic’s breadth of experience in a wide variety of real estate and corporate matters is a valuable asset to GGTM and... MORE
Legacy Release Program Funding Completely Allocated
Posted on April 2, 2018
On March 16, 2018, the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) announced that the $36 million in funding earmarked for the Legacy Release Program (LRP) barely 6 months ago (via the passage of Public Act 130 of 2017) has been completely allocated to approved or pending claim submittals. As a result, the MDEQ is not reviewing any additional claims made under the LRP. However, a waiting list of up to 100 more claim applications will be maintained, in the event that current claims do not expend the full approved amount or are otherwise denied. The waiting list information can... MORE
New MUSTA Legislation Enacted
Posted on October 27, 2017
House Bill 4583 was recently signed into law by Governor Snyder.  This Bill creates the “Legacy Release Program”, establishes new options to demonstrate financial responsibility for cleanup fund deductibles, and provides for reimbursement of local units of government (LUG) for certain corrective action costs. The highlights of HB 4583 (now referred to as Public Act 134 of 2017) are outlined below: The Legacy Release Program is created and will be administered by the Michigan Underground Storage Tank Authority (MUSTA). The intent is to provide a mechanism to aid in the completion of corrective actions and to close out “old”... MORE
See More Posts